Laboratory tests provide clinicians with key, non-invasive, diagnostic information, helping them formulate strategic clinical plans and optimize treatment for their patients. The lab and clinicians of MAEMC are equipped to handle a variety of patient needs, from assessing inflammation, to identifying parasite infestations and metabolic disorders. Additionally, the lab is dedicated to accurate, timely results for all patients, allowing for prompt action and treatment.
We are here to help you improve and maintain the quality of your horse's life, and we look forward to partnering with you to achieve your goals. Please give us a call to create a diagnostic plan with one of our highly-skilled clinicians and to learn more about available testing.
The lab serves in-house, ambulatory, and referral clinicians.
To better serve our patients, laboratory testing is available 24/7 to all in-patient horses.
Monday-Friday: 08:00 am - 5:00 pm
Examples of In-House Laboratory Testing
- CBC (Complete Blood Count)/Fibrinogen to assess overall health
- Serum chemistry to evaluate organ system function
- Blood gas analysis to appraise lung function
- Urinalysis to gauge kidney and urinary health
- Quantitative parasitology (reported in EPG; Eggs Per Gram) to estimate parasitic load
- Fecal occult blood test to check for colonic ulcers
- Bacterial culture and sensitivity
- Fungal and ringworm culture
- IgG SNAP testing to gauge critical passive-immunity transfer in newborn foals
- Cytology to characterize cellular or bacterial populations
- SAA (Serum Amyloid A) testing, which quantifies a specific, sensitive biological marker of acute inflammation or infection
Dr. Belgrave explains why the new SAA test by StableLab is such a critical, cutting-edge diagnostic tool for the clinicians at MAEMC.
Examples of Send-Out Laboratory Testing
- Coggins testing (AGID and ELISA) for travel, showing, and regulatory processes
- Anaplasma, Potomac Horse Fever, and Lyme testing to identify tick-borne diseases
- Metabolic testing (incl. ACTH, Insulin, etc.) to help identify and manage metabolic disorders
- Respiratory and diarrhea disease panels to help identify pathogenic, causative organisms
- Biopsies and biological specimens for histopathology to help diagnose skin abnormalities and gastrointestinal disorders
Laboratory Contact Information
Phone: (609) 397-0078, Ext. 212
Fax: (609) 397-0661